13 June 2011

Big waves capsize boat in Subic; 1 dead

One fisherman died while three others survived after their motorized fishing boat capsized near Sitio Naglatore in Redondo Peninsula at the mouth of Subic Bay at the height of tropical depression Dodong.

Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority Seaport Manager Captain Perfecto Pascual identified the rescued fishermen as Adonis Igmao, Melchor Nakar, and Ruperto Miranda, all of Barangay Calapacuan, Subic, Zambales.

The lone fatality was identified as Felix Datoon, 50, also a resident of Calapacuan.

Reports said that at around 10:40 in the morning, Thursday (June 9), M/V “Majelyn-1” was anchored at sea at about two kilometers from Sitio Naglatore with the four fishermen on board.

However, strong winds and big waves pummelled the boat, causing the anchor ropes to detach and making the boat unstable.

All passengers then decided to abandon the boat. Using empty plastic containers as floating devices, the fishermen swam towards the shoreline of Sitio Naglatore.

However, Datoon lost his plastic container due to strong and high waves, causing him to drown. The other three fishermen were able to swim to safety.

The initial report received by the SBMA Seaport Department said that workers of First Balfour Inc. were the first to respond and provide assistance to the three fishermen and to retrieve the body of Datoon.

First Balfour is a contractor of RP Energy Inc., the company that is building a power plant at the Redondo Peninsula.

According to Miranda, they went fishing at Sabang, Morong Bataan in the afternoon of June 8, but decided to return early morning of June 9 due to bad weather.

On their way back, they encountered strong waves that prompted them to anchor their boat in the waters off Sitio Naglatore, Miranda added.

Personnel of the SBMA Seaport and Law Enforcement Departments were dispatched to bring the victims to SBMA for medical attention. However, due to strong waves, the SBMA vessel M/V Redondo could not immediately get near Redondo Peninsula's shoreline.

It was not until 5:30 PM that the SBMA team was able to pick up the three fishermen and the body of Datoon.

The survivors were brought to the James L. Gordon Memorial Hospital for further treatment while the body of Datoon was brought to the Subic Homes Memorial Service and was claimed by his family. (Henry EmpeƱo, Corporate Communications)