This site is powered by the Media Production Department,
Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (MPD-SBMA)

----------------------------------------------------------------

26 May 2015

Hanjin gets DOLE certification on labor and safety standards

Hanjin Heavy Industries Corp.-Philippines (HHIC-Phil), the biggest shipbuilding company in the country, has passed the stringent standards of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), following an assessment early this month.

HHIC-Phil President Jeong Sup Shim said in a statement on Monday that DOLE officials have issued the South Korean shipbuilder certificates of compliance on General Labor Standards (GLS) and Occupational Safety and Health Standards (OSHS) for its shipbuilding facility at the Redondo Peninsula in this free port.

Shim said that aside from Hanjin, the 20 firms doing subcontracting works at the Redondo shipyard were also given compliance certificates after 30 DOLE officials, led by Secretary Rosalinda D. Baldoz toured HHIC-Phil workplaces on May 20.

Shim said Hanjin, along with its contractors and subcontractors, underwent joint assessment by Labor Laws Compliance Officers of DOLE-Central Luzon office, who also extended technical assistance to these companies to correct deficiencies and make them compliant with labor laws.

During the visit, Baldoz awarded the certificates of compliance to HHIC-Phil and its contractors and subcontractors “so the public, investors and workers may know that [we] adhere to the country’s labor laws,” Shim said.

Following this, Hanjin and its subcontractors signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) with the DOLE to affirm their commitment in adhering to labor laws while ensuring that the compliance status is sustained and monitored by the labor agency.

The MOA was immediately made effective as specialized DOLE programs and services will be implemented in the form of “Productivity Tool Box” programs and services among the companies.

Baldoz also reminded HHIC-Phil that all new contractors it will engage shall be similarly subjected to joint assessment within six months of their operations and must secure certificates of compliance issued by DOLE for both GLS and OSHS.

Shim said the company welcomes the strict enforcement by the DOLE of labor laws, adding that HHIC-Phil “is very keen in continuously improving the safety and health situation” in its shipyard.

He said HHIC-Phil has been actively participating in the promotion of enhanced OSH condition and has even hosted in February a risk-assessment exercise attended by over 40 representatives from the International Labor Organization, Asean Occupational Safety and Health Network (OSHNET), as well as the DOLE to showcase the best practices at the Redondo shipyard.

Shim said that because of its best practices, HHIC-Phil has been topping the Philippines’s overall vessel order with 86.6 percent of the total orders booked. The rest, or a total of 13.4 percent, is taken up by Japanese shipbuilder Tsuneishi, which is based in Cebu.

Shim said in a survey in April by Clarkson, the world’s largest shipbroker, the Philippines claimed its spot as the No. 1 shipbuilding country with the highest contracts won equivalent to 590,000 Compensated Gross Tonnage (CGT), thereby surpassing the biggest shipbuilding countries, including Korea, China and Japan, with 530,000 CGT, 290,000 CGT and 150,000 CGT, respectively.

“The Philippines is now making its mark internationally in terms of shipbuilding, and HHIC-Phil is proud to be a major contributor in the country’s economy,” Shim also said. (Henry EmpeƱo, BusinessMirror)

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/hanjin-gets-dole-certification-on-labor-and-safety-standards/

0 comments: